Monday, December 10, 2007

Tattenhall border league, Ffrith fell run

Pushed it a lot harder in the third border league fixture of the season at Tattenhall on Sunday: a 10k hilly route from the village south-east to Burwardsley Hill and back. Course suited me quite well, I was well rested and had no feasible excuses not to give it a good bash. So in some ways my 36th place (from 243) in 37:08 was a disappointment. But it was my highest ever placing in the league and the competition is rather intense, to say the least, as you get a bit higher up the field! My time was close to my Mold pb, and this over a very hilly course. Scored in 4th place for Buckley. Pleasingly, had recovered sufficiently for an early morning run extending last week's fell route - this time starting from Waun y Llyn down the bridleway SW to birch woods and then Ffrith village. Then up the route I discovered last week above Nant y Ffrith, this time running to the summit of Pen Llan y Gwr: great views in all directions, including the distant Snowdon horseshoe with Lliwedd clearly visible in clear, sunny weather. The Pennines fringed the opposite horizon. A bitter wind made hanging round in running gear unwise though, so I continued the run down the hill NE - superb open fell running with fantastic views - to Pentre Farm to reascend the wooded path and bridleway back to Waun y Llyn. Delighted to have discovered these routes on my doorstep.

No comments: