Sunday, February 08, 2009

Long Mynd valleys fell race

Race: Long Mynd Valleys fell race (11.5m/4500ft)
Peaks: Callow, Yearlet
Area: Long Mynd, Shropshire
Time/Position: 2:11:18 (28/185)

A splendid race in a new area for me. Conditions were wonderful today: quite deep snow throughout, superb sunshine for the first half of the race, with heavy snow and low cloud adding some drama to the already fairly dramatic finale. Started up a steep spur leading NE out of Carding Mill valley, then deep snow contouring the hillside before a fast descent down an obvious spur lead down to Long Batch and the side valley of Jonathan's Hollow. I'd started very conservatively, so began to pick up places as we climbed out of this little valley to gain the easy running round the plateau heading SW. Splendid views of snow covered peaks like Caer Caradoc under blue skies, with fast, flat exhilerating running before a superb descent - steep at first - down the beautiful Ashes Hollow. A steep climb led from checkpoint 2 up the hillside south to an awkward flat section with drifts then a very steep descent on ice and snow. I thought I'd ripped my right buttock to shreds as I indulged in a controlled fall down this face - but the wound wasn't too bad on later inspection. The route goes down Barrister's Batch and Callow Hollow before another very narrow, very steep valley. A lung-busting climb led out of this before the descent to Minton Batch. This is the section which gives the race its reputation - a relentless series of steep climbs and descents over a series of very pretty, but remarkably narrow valleys. I made a small navigational error at the bottom of this descent (a full glissade) but righted myself, without losing too many places, for the desperate climb up what I presume was Windy Batch. It started snowing quite heavily at this point, but I was feeling quite good for the climb up to the top of Callow, then the descent through drifts to a track over the side of Grindle to a final very steep climb up Yearlet where I met up with Jez. The weather really closed in at this point, and I lost the feeling in my feet for the long descent to the finish. Quite frustrating, as I had plenty in my legs, but numb stumps for feet doesn't lend much confidence. So I couldn't quite catch the group in front. Finished a long way down the field, but enjoyed the race throughout.

No comments: