Sunday, October 09, 2011

Breidden Hills fell race

Race: Breidden Hills fell race (7m/2000ft/AM)
Time/Position: 1:02:06 (14th from 155 [3rd V40])

The climax of the Welsh Fell Running Championships, the final race of the 2011 series, and as such a crucial event for me. Although I'd already done four of the races in all four corners of Wales (Llanbedr-Blaenafon, Llangynhafal Loop, 1000m Peaks, Ras Beca) I had yet to do a 'Medium' distance race, and my previous scores would have counted for nothing if I'd failed to turn out here. So the pressure was on a bit, and the field was unsurprisingly big and strong with a large contingent of runners in the V40 category. I was therefore relieved to feel quite good for the long, gentle climb up the fireroads to Middletown Hill although I slowed considerably as a strong headwind battered us for the steep climbs over the main ridge. I settled into a better rhythm as the ground levels off a bit for the picturesque rocky climb over Moel y Golfa, picking up places on the flatter wooded section before the final steep climb up Rodney's Pillar. I was glad that I'd done the race before, winning the V40 category last year, because a local gamekeeper had removed much of the tape and the route is rather complex! However, I still had some anxious navigational moments as I tried to stick with the group in front. Generally, though, I knew that my position was irrelevant and I just had to get a decent time in comparison to the leaders to record a reasonable final score in the championships. I ended up within a few seconds of last year's time, which was a tad disappointing but maybe I could blame the wind or over-racing! Excellent post-race food and a nice prize-giving at the village hall later on. I finished first V40/Vet in the 2011 Welsh Championships, and second in the overall Open competition, with 355 points. Between 86-91 in each race, which varied from the 4 mile dash over the Preseli Hills to the 22 mile epic of the 1000m peaks race. Consistently mediocre, in other words! It has been a thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying series, genuinely 'pan-Welsh' in geography and spirit.

No comments: