Sunday, October 23, 2011

Coed y Brenin Duathlon

Race: Coed y Brenin Off-Road Duathlon (3k/20k/3k)
Time/Position: 1:38:56 (11th from 40 [1st V40])

My first ever duathlon and, as such, a fairly steep learning curve. I was surprised and somewhat disadvantaged by the shortness of the two trail runs which book-ended the mountain biking, as it was inevitable that I would lose ground on the bike. Still, it was all a lot of fun with the mountain bike route taking in some of the best and toughest sections of the splendid Tarw trail. The initial trail race was just 3k, although quite sharp, with the first half a flat out dash down fireroads before a very long and steep tarmac climb led to a boggy fell race style section through trees to gain the transition. I was in fifth place after the first run in 13.33, but began to get overtaken on the bike after just 1 or 2k: unsurprising, but still dispiriting. I've done the Tarw Trail a few times before, and rode it in the early days of the 'Red Bull' circuit. However, the initial climb is surprisingly tough when you are racing in anger! I'd expected to lose most ground on the technical descents, but, to my surprise, I shot down the black Flight Path section and gained slightly on the riders in front. Superb singletrack riding with the bike performing quite well after its service. Very wet rock after heavy rain earlier in the morning. I slowed a bit then slipped a chain on the long open moorland climbs to the south. I felt the lack of toe-clips/cleats here. Inevitably, more riders passed me at this stage, although I shot down the descents. Indeed, the long fire track down to the final singletrack section saw me doing a fair impression (in my own mind at least) of a more muddy and less glamorous Vincenzo Nibali. Another very steep and technical climb saw me gain some ground before infuriatingly puncturing during the final very technical and tricky rocky section before the road crossing. This meant I had to run the last 2k, pushing the bike. It removed any chance of catching those in front, and meant that I was passed by two more cyclists before starting the final run. I maintained a reasonable pace for this, with the 6th quickest time, but didn't gain any places. A surprisingly intense and enjoyable outing.

No comments: