Sunday, October 16, 2011

Prestatyn Border League

Race: Prestatyn 5.1m (Border League round 1)
Time/Position: 29:29 (27th from 310 [4th V40])

Having missed most of last season's fixtures through injury, I am quite keen to give the league a proper bash again this year. I think this race marked my 25th appearance in the BL and, as such, my final position today was disappointing. That said, my time was almost 40 seconds quicker than the 2010 running of this route, and yet I finished one place down - which all suggests that it was a distressingly strong field today. It certainly felt like that as I got in with a very tightly packed, large group which (unusually) held together without breaking up until we got to the turn in Rhyl. The pace was high and, although I was drafting a bit into the westerly headwind, I began to struggle as we regained the seafront and headed back east. This was my first short road race for a very long time, almost a year perhaps, and I felt a distinct lack of speed-endurance as I tried to maintain the pace for the last two miles. An uncomfortable shock to the system.

No comments: