Sunday, January 08, 2012

Abergele Border League

Race: Abergele 5m (Border League race 4)
Time/Position: 28:13 (15th from 315 [3rd V40])

This season's League just seems to get more competitive with each race. This went reasonably well in the circumstances, as I worked my way into a decent group of runners west into the inevitable headwind on this seaside course, feeling relatively relaxed. The group then quickly broke up, leaving us all exposed to the wind as we hugged the coastline. I then picked up a couple more places on the off-road steps up to the caravan site (which inevitably slow times on what would otherwise be a fast, measured 5 mile route). I felt pretty good with a tailwind on the long haul back to Pensarn, yet still lost out to three runners with faster finishing kicks in the last 100m! This time was a bit slower than I'd hoped, suggesting I may not be in 10k PB shape at the start of 2012 (a tad over optimistic) although it did take 20 seconds off my 5 mile PB. I do like this course, though: it is somehow far more pleasant than the otherwise similar seaside circuit at Prestatyn.

No comments: