Saturday, January 21, 2012

Twin Piers 10k

Race: Twin Piers 10k
Time/Position: 34:17 (11th from 367 [1st V40])

I have always wondered what this race would be like with a serious tailwind, as a point-to-point route heading from Llandudno to Colwyn Bay with the prevailing westerlies. Today, my third time in the event, I got the answer: a considerable help! So I'm not sure whether this time, a PB by 28 seconds, is entirely legitimate despite the accurately measured course. It would, I suspect, be regarded as wind-assisted by any serious authority! That said, the climb over the Little Orme remains steep and hard, and this year there was an extra loop around Rhos which detracted from the elegant simplicity of the normal route and gave us a brief taste of the headwind. Before the race, I had thought I might get close to sub-35m, but don't think I am quite in genuine PB shape at present. The field was very strong, the pace exceptionally quick along the prom. I worked well with Richard, at a similar pace, and passed the leading runner in my category within the last 500m to win first V40 by 4 seconds. This time would have given me 2nd place last year, which must say something about the conditions. My first 10k since 2010, though, so generally pleased with the performance and the fact that I (very) briefly glimpsed the possibility of sub-34m.

No comments: