Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Capenhurst 5k

Race: Capenhurst 5k
Time/Position: 17:04 (26th from 229 [6th V40])
An extraordinarily strong field for this quick 5k this year. In 2010 I ran 5 seconds quicker than this, finished 12th overall and won the V40 prize. This year was a different story, as at least 30 runners stormed off for a painfully fast first mile. I was really suffering, shocked by the pace after a summer in the hills - as always - and struggled to keep up with both John's initially. However, I recovered a bit when the route heads for home after 3k and managed to pick the pace up and gain a few places. Not many though, as the event felt far more competitive even than the average border league fixture and I finished way down the field. A fast, flat 5k is perhaps the ultimate contrast with Sunday's 22 peak 14 hour odyssey? I'd only had 72 hours to recover, so with luck I'll be a bit less tired for the Welsh Champs 10k next week!

No comments: