Saturday, February 09, 2013

Rhug Cross Country

Race: North Wales XC Championships, Rhug (11k)
Time/Position: 43:55 (6th from 34 [2nd V40])
The going was soft to very soft at this re-scheduled championship race, some explanation perhaps for the fact that my time was over two minutes down on last year. That said, I was lucky to be competing at all as I was otherwise engaged on the original date and it was only the snow-related cancellation that made it possible for me to run. Not many others did, however, and it was a small group that set off on the shorter laps before heading out for three (or was it four?) long and hilly laps of the Rhug estate. In places, this was a real quagmire with knee deep mud, and pretty draining. By the last lap it was obvious that I lacked the strength to get up into fifth place, and I had a reasonable gap, so I eased off a little: mindful of the need to continue to push the mileage tomorrow and next week as I prepare for the longer stuff. Rhug is a great location for the championships and a nice challenge in these conditions: we (me, Jeff, Paul) managed to win first Veteran's team as well, which was a bonus.

No comments: