Saturday, March 16, 2013

Erddig Orienteering

Race: Erddig Orienteering (Light Green, 3.2k)
Time/Position: 39:37 (20th from 39)
A steep learning curve! This was the second time I'd taken M along to Scouts Orienteering, and he didn't want me to shadow him today, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to have a bash at short course orienteering for the first time. I selected the Light Green ('Improvers') course, thinking it would be a gentle jog in advance of tomorrow's important 10k in the Vale of Clwyd: lovely sunny weather throughout and a nice, interesting field of play in the varied terrain of the Erddig estate. Whilst it wasn't physically demanding, I hadn't anticipated quite how different this form of short course orienteering is in comparison to more familiar mountain marathons and the style of navigation with which I am familiar. Here, bearings are largely irrelevant: it is all to do with map orientation and micro navigation. Although I knew that in theory, I was still taken aback by the technical difficulty of locating the checkpoints in the middle of thick forest, gullies and the like. Two controls were particularly difficult for me, as I hadn't properly concentrated after leaving the previous position, and I took an embarrassing amount of time to complete the course. But it was all very enjoyable and I am keen for more. M seemed to enjoy himself too, as he ambled round - finding time to take some film footage - to complete the yellow course in an hour.

No comments: