Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Trafford AC Grand Prix 3k

Race: Longford Park 3000m
Time/Position: 9.49 (14th from 27 [1st Veteran])
After 300 races and 15 years of running, this was my first ever formal track meet: at Longford Park in Stretford. It was also my first ever 3k race - but it had struck me for a while that sub 10 minutes was a fairly obvious target for one of my vintage and decrepitude. The problem is that interval training, other speedwork and all road races are purely winter pursuits for me: summer is reserved exclusively for the mountains. As such, I'd done no formal preparation for this: and it is a pretty serious event in a proper athletics stadium on a proper track with a crowd and some very talented athletes. In short, I was impressed with the level of organisation and the precision of the timing: and really enjoyed the very different experience of pelting round the track for 7.5 laps. I concentrated on maintaining 1:20 per lap pace, and stayed reasonably comfortable for the first 3 or 4. Then, inevitably, oxygen debt becomes the key factor - but I managed to push the pace just a little to give myself a cushion for sub-10. The intense heat of the day just wasn't a factor, surprisingly, although a stiff breeze was annoying at times. The last lap was quite tough, but I was pleased with my time and wonder if I could go a bit quicker during winter training.

No comments: