Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tywardreath Trotter

Race: Tywardreath Trotter, Cornwall (7m)
Time/Position: 44.32 (6th from 266 [2nd V40])
An ideal opportunity to stretch my legs on the long journey home from Coverack, this race exceeded my expectations - a lovely multi-terrain circuit with a bit of everything thrown into the mix. A really special atmosphere throughout: this was clearly a big event and the village turned out to watch in amazingly big numbers. A long and tortuous drive via Veryan and Mevagissey - sustained by a classic cream tea - saw us arrive in Tywardreath near Fowey as the evening sun came out: neither child could be persuaded to do the fun run, preferring to take in the race barbecue instead. Almost 300 runners from a huge range of clubs turned out, as this was the final counter in the Cornish summer off-road race series. After a circuit of the whole village, we headed out into the lanes via a steep, rocky descent down to a lovely riverside path. It was hard to overtake so I took it easy for a while, expecting a long climb up to the 3 mile point (having luckily checked the profile and map just before the start!). I began to pick up places and soon found myself in a group of four, about 50m behind the lead group of four. After we crested the high point of the route, tarmac lanes led to more bridleways. I was evenly matched with the others in the group on the road, but tended to gain ground on the steeper fell-style climbs. As a result, I pulled into fourth place during the long final climb up a small road which lead to fields with a superb view of the sea above Fowey. I was still in fourth approaching the final descent down steep steps, during which you can hear the roar (almost a roar anyway!) of the village crowds. They then get a good view as you descend down a dip then climb back up to the pub. My pathetic excuse for a finishing kick meant I was run out of it in front of my family in the last 100m, pushed back down to sixth place by the two chaps I'd run in with: less than a minute behind the winner surprisingly. The most enjoyable race I've done for some time: a great event. I ran straight back up to the car and we began the long drive to our next hotel in Tiverton via Dartmoor, me still in my sweaty race vest.

No comments: