Sunday, March 16, 2014

Trimpell 20

Race: Trimpell 20 mile (Lancaster)
Time/Position: 2.09.02 (20th from 502)
I really wasn't looking forward to this, seeing it purely as 'something to be done' in preparation for London. However, in the event it proved a very enjoyable family day out, albeit remarkably expensive for what was essentially a traffic free romp along the River Lune. The day was windy, which was yet another reason to start off ultra cautiously, and I was very conscious of my usual lack of long road runs (ie none) so far this year. So I just aimed for 6:30 mile pace throughout. This felt very comfortable as we turned round in the badlands of Morecambe then had the wind at our backs for the very pleasant but very long leg along the Lune, looping through the edge of Lancaster and way out east to near Claughton. My caution was probably wise, as the return leg was a bit of a battle into a headwind, although the route stays quite sheltered for the most part. I was aiming for sub 2.10, and had a little cushion, but kept slowly plodding away until the final lap round the athletics track: genuinely surprised to feel comfortable throughout, and even more surprised to really enjoy the race. This was only the fourth or fifth measured 20 miler I've ever done, and the first flat one, so it unsurprisingly took 15 minutes off my PB.

No comments: