Sunday, March 09, 2014

Horseshoe 'four climbs' circuit

Road Cycling: HK-Penbarras-Shelf-Llandegla-Horseshoe-Llangollen-Trevor-Minera-HK
Distance: 80k
If I'm behind with the marathon training, I am even further behind when it comes to the cycling: the Tour of Flanders (Ronde) starts in less than a month! Virtually no time spent on the bike all winter, so I had to use at least part of this weekend for some quality time in the saddle. I left HK at 8am, enjoying the novelty of dry and quiet road. I headed up for the sharp climb through Gwernymynydd then up to Bwlch Penbarras in around 50 minutes. The sunshine gave way to cold and cloudy conditions in the Vale as I dropped down towards Ruthin to pick up the obscure lanes which lead to the Shelf. Only the second time I've done this, for me the most enjoyable road climb in NE Wales. Rutted surface, so good training for the cobbles of Flanders. Wonderfully quiet, superb riding up to the Clwydian ridge then down through Llandegla to start the climb to the top of the Horseshoe Pass. From here, more welcome sunshine for the easier riding through Llangollen to Trevor. Back via Rhos, Minera and Cefn y Bedd before enjoying an additional 10k with E in the warmth of low-altitude HK! Felt like this morning outing was of some value, but the Ronde is twice as far and twice as hard.

No comments: