Sunday, November 09, 2014

Christleton border league

Race: Christleton 5.8m (Border League race 1)
Time/Position: 33.41 (22nd from 352 [3rd V40])
This was supposed to be a mild jog with sore legs after yesterday's Welsh Championship finale. But in the event I had such a bad race at Rhobell Fawr that I didn't feel particularly tired as soon as I'd adapted to the usual flat out road pace after a fast first mile. It always takes a while to adapt to the ever-competitive Border League after a summer in the hills, but I've done a few hard intervals sessions over the last few weeks so felt fairly well prepared. Yesterday's race was obviously a factor, so I kept a conservative pace ticking over throughout, not wanting to blow up on the final mile which I knew from several previous attempts at this course is gently uphill all the way. Two years ago I was tripped up after half a mile on this course, landing on my head, staring at the clouds, and had no wish to repeat the experience. I slowed a bit over the slippery sequence of ancient cobbled bridges, unable to keep with the pace of Eric and Jez, but I did manage to pick up a few places on the final uphill mile.

No comments: