Saturday, November 08, 2014

Rhobell Fawr fell race

Race: Rhobell Fawr fell race (10.5k/2000ft)
Time/Position: 59.49 (20th from 88)
A badly twisted ankle ruined my chances of first place in the Welsh fell running championships on the final descent of this - the final race in the series. After my mistake at the Black Mountains in September which cost me lots of time, I only had a slender 3 point lead over Darren Fishwick coming into the last race of the championships. As a result, I had to put in a decent performance, but completely failed to do so (although he was much quicker on the climb and would still have beaten me today even if I had run the perfect race!). I felt slow on the climb, even though I'd intended to really batter myself! But I got up reasonably quickly and was still in touch as I started the descent - then it all went wrong. I started to lose ground on those in front, shoes slipping all over the place with worn down studs: intermittent rain and light mist. Then I took the wrong line half way down the descent, up a little draining climb near the sheepfold. To my left, a group of pursuers followed the wall and immediately gained 100m on me. Ruing my mistake, I then turned my left ankle in a sickening wrench. After hobbling for a minute or two, I managed to break into a jog (having damaged that ankle many times it does tend to right itself after a while!) but then slipped and fell on the steep grassy slopes above the descent track. Once off the open hill, I sprang back into life and enjoyed a quickish final section through the muddy woods and tracks that lead back to the village. Missed first place in the V40 category by the annoyingly narrow margin of 2.5 points, finishing in 2nd place with 363 - the last two disastrous races having blotted the rest of a great series for me. I can't think of many nicer autumnal venues than Llanfachreth - beautiful colours, and amidst the sharp downpours we had a burst of sunshine over Mawddach and Cader as Jez and I warmed down with a jog round the Precipice Walk.

No comments: