Sunday, November 01, 2015

Abergele 5m

Race: Abergele 5m (North Wales Championships)
Time/Position: 28.59 (10th from 200 [2nd V45])
There is something strange about this excellent race. I must have done the event 6 or 7 times: it is always sunny, and I record almost exactly the same time every single year (28.51 in 2011, 28.51 in 2012, 28.57 in 2013, 28.59 in 2015). However, that very gradual decline, losing a couple of seconds a year, cost me today as I missed out on the category win by 4 seconds! I had a feeling the Wilmslow runner in front of me was my age, and spent the entire race trying to catch him. Almost managed it, but not quite, although I did have the consolation of first place in the North Wales Championships. It's a slightly tricky race to pace, as you have to go off fast on the long hill to St George but you also need to retain a little something for the sharp hill at three miles - after which comes a fast run-in to the finish. It's never likely to be a PB course due to the hills, but is always enjoyable.

No comments: