Monday, November 02, 2015

Bochlwyd Horseshoe

Peaks: Tryfan, Glyder Fach
Area: Glyderau, Eryri
An attempt to set a time for this old favourite circuit, something of a scrambling classic on which we cut our mountaineering teeth as teenagers in the late 80s. A truly stunning spell of autumnal weather: indeed, the UK's November temperature record was broken in Trawscoed yesterday (22.3C). Fog at home this morning, but Ogwen was bathed in sunshine as I set off for the Heather Terrace. I decided to do a bit of a variant on the classic circuit, by using a route on the sun-drenched East Face to make it a bit longer and more interesting. I jogged most of the way up, using various short cut paths to get to the broad gully which gains the terrace. Very slippery underfoot, which slowed progress. But the rock in Little Gully (my chosen route) was warm and dry: allowing for a very quick ascent. I've been up and down this many times before, and it gives a nice route with fine rock scenery and views of the classic climbs. I curved right towards the top of North Gully then weaved up little variants to the summit in 45 minutes from the A5. I had the top of Tryfan to myself (a rare treat these days). From here, a mixture of running and scrambling down the South Ridge to the base of Bristly. It's been years since I last did this (although we did some of the classic rock climbs on Bristly's East Face a few years ago, and I probably did the scramble 10 times in my youth). Instead of the normal start up Sinister Gully, I took the excellent clean groove further left. This gives fine sustained scrambling and was much drier than Sinister today. From here, I stuck to the crest over Great Tower Gap (where the excellent HS climb finishes) and up to the Glyder plateau. Stunning clarity of light with great views over Castell y Gwynt to Yr Wyddfa beyond. All of Eryri crystal clear, with banks of fog beyond. I ran over the plateau, then down Y Gribin for the final piece of mild rock action: along the crest to good running down to Bochlwyd then Ogwen and the car. Just under 2.25 for the round.

No comments: