Friday, November 27, 2015

Dash in the Dark

Race: Dash in the Dark, Llandegla (race 1: 6.5k)
Time/Position: 28.23 (3rd from 88 [1st Veteran])
It is hardly surprising that these night time winter fell races, 1000ft up in the woods above Llandegla, are often characterised by bad weather. Tonight it was classic bracing conditions of wind and driving rain, extremely soft, nay aquatic underfoot. Over the years we've had snow, gales, torrential rain, all sorts. I really enjoy the races: don't know how many of them I've done, but it must be well over 10, going back to when they started in 2006 or so. A decent field set off into the darkness, wind and rain: I kept a steady but conservative pace ticking over, holding back a bit at first. After around a mile comes the nasty descent where I injured myself quite badly on the opening race last year. I took my time, picking a route through the tree roots and mud, and found myself in third place on the steep climb that follows. There I stayed, well behind the two young leaders but with a reasonable gap on those chasing. The torches were always there behind though, so I pushed on a bit on the firmer tracks around the lake which lead to a very steep descent through the trees. Great fun, as ever, with £1 soup to warm up with.

No comments: