Sunday, April 17, 2016

Mold Border League

Race: Mold 5m (Border League Race 6)
Time/Position: 28.37 (13th from 293 [1st V45])
Almost three months since my last border league fixture, and indeed my last short race - having missed race 5 due to the Panama trip. This gap, combined with recent travels and relative lack of speedwork, meant I was very unsure how I'd get on today. The V45 category could hardly be tighter, with Richard Webster nudging into the lead by one point after the last race. It was a relief, therefore, to feel reasonably good on this very familiar circuit, which I must have done at least 10 times. It is always a tricky one to judge: indeed just last year I blew after the hill to Nercwys and really struggled over the last half. This was better, just kept it steady on the climb, then pushed the pace a bit through Nercwys. Myself and Richard again equally matched, running together for most of the race. I felt OK at the turn back to Mold, so picked up the pace again to catch Jez and others on the undulations before re-entering Mold. Coming into the final mile, I was momentarily 10th, but part of a small group of quick runners that I knew would beat me in a sprint finish. That was indeed the case: I have never had much of a finishing kick and ended up at the back of the group. Still, a great race (and a great league season) with the usual friendly competition, and not too bad a time for this hilly 5 mile course. The category remains very tight: a slender 5 point lead going into the final race, which (as is often the case) is three days after London!

No comments: