Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Prestatyn Border League

Race: Prestatyn 7k/4.2m (Border League race 7)
Time/Position: 24.37 (15th from 276 [1st V45])
It's not the first time we've had a final border league fixture just three days after London, but tonight's race was intensified by the very tight margins in the V45 category. I had a slender 5 point lead over Rich Webster, who had also done London: so it was a level playing field and the usual friendly competition. After a short loop around the Ffrith, the race went out for a two mile romp along the prom past the Nova Centre. I stuck with Richard for most of this, evenly matched as we have been all season. But I was feeling reasonably good and the legs weren't too painful after the marathon, so I pushed on a bit, then worked my way up the field on the return leg eventually joining a small group of three. There was a headwind as we headed back west, but nothing compared to previous return legs along the same coastal path (45mph on the Rhyl 10 earlier this year, to name but one example!). In the event, I recorded my third best finish of the season to win the V45 category in the league with 105 points, the first time I have won my category in 11 years. A really enjoyable season, closely contested throughout (tonight was also, coincidentally, my 60th Border League race).

No comments: