Sunday, October 09, 2016

Caernarfon border league

Race: Caernarfon 10k (Border League race 1)
Time/Position: 36.29 (16th from 318 [2nd V45])
The rule of 30 seconds strikes again. The third consecutive race in which I have been half a minute down on my most recent previous time for the course. Still, at least the decline is relatively gradual! Given the lack of recent road running, and only one intervals session in preparation, I was reasonably pleased with this - and I always enjoy the route, perhaps my 8th time round the course, both clockwise and anticlockwise. Today, we went the 'normal' way round, with a light easterly a slight help for the long, flat 5k alongside the Menai Straits. Always a glorious place to run, and the weather was delightful, as it often is on this race. Views of Yr Eifl and Mynydd Mawr as we turned inland to face the hilly second half of the course. I caught quick-starters Chris and David from Buckley and we ran together for a bit up the first hill. I moved up the field a bit over the second half and did my usual pace-holding (albeit slow!) routine, managing to hold off a small group immediately behind on the always enjoyable, very scenic final km past the castle.

No comments: