Saturday, March 18, 2017

Ras yr Aran

Race: Ras yr Aran (16k+/3100ft)
Time/Position: 1.47.22 (16th from 81)
I was amazed to find that it has been six years since I last did this race. With fairly strong winds forecast, it seemed possible that it would be shortened to Aran Benllyn, as I remember happening in the past, but in the event the full race (quite rightly) went ahead with just the final scree cone to the summit of Fawddwy removed. The weather was not great, but nothing particularly unusual: gusts to 60mph, heavy rain and a notable windchill as might be expected at this time of year. As ever, it is the combination of rain and wind that causes the problems! I had expected to struggle on the long five mile climb, given my usual winter on the roads, and I did indeed. I fell way behind on the initial gradual climb over Moel Ffenigl and only began to make up some ground as the slopes steepen up to Aran Benllyn. This gave some welcome shelter from the worst of the windchill too. Excellent running along the ridge, past the little lakes and the rocky bluffs: low temperatures, poor visibility and strong crosswinds throughout. Navigation is easy on this race though, and I made up some ground and places on the wet and slippery descent, which went a little better than I'd expected it to and was very enjoyable. Buckley won the male team prize, with me counting in third place but only seconds ahead of Steve.

No comments: