Saturday, April 22, 2017

Anniversary Waltz

Race: Anniversary Waltz fell race (11.5m/3800ft/AM)
Time/Position: 1.58.31 (56th from 444)
If I run a more enjoyable race this year, I will be surprised. This was a treat: a superbly runnable and elegant circuit, most of which I knew fairly well, on a wonderful spring day of perfect clarity. Conditions could hardly have been better, so I thought I should at least try for the fairly obvious sub-2 hour target, despite the fact that I was in 'tourist mode' as ever when racing in the Lakes. After a big breakfast at the Buttermere YHA, we drove over Newlands to Stair (where the Rab was based a few years ago, and where I spent Freshers Week in 1988!). This race is perhaps the most famous and popular 'medium' fell race in the Lakes, so there is a huge (by Welsh standards) field of around 500. The start is above the village in the valley below Catbells and the volume of numbers means it is hard to get a clear run initially. I thought I might as well 'bank' the first few miles on track and road so went off reasonably hard with my modest winter road speed still present. At the end of the valley, past the Little Town church, the tarmac finally gives way to a track and the glorious Scope Beck valley. Although I have done these peaks numerous times, I have never been up this way. In today's conditions, it was lovely. A steep climb up the side of the valley, using hands in places, gains the excellent main ridge up Robinson with a few rocky rises demanding a spot of scrambling. Glorious views in all directions. Reached the top of Robinson in 44 minutes. The route then opens out and becomes distinctly runnable again. The detour to Hindscarth is fast and fun, and the quick line to Dale Head is equally good. I have very powerful memories of this ridge: having crossed it during the legendary cancelled OMM in 2008, linked arm in arm with three other runners to prevent us getting blown away! The descent from Dale Head is very steep, with two different options. I went left and more direct, which is arduous and perhaps the toughest section of the race. The finish is excellent, along the great ridge with famous views of Derwent Water and Skiddaw (taken the other way round when the Rab was here). I seemed to be well inside the two hours as I crested Catbells with 10 minutes to go, but I hadn't realised the finish was back at the village! An exciting and fast (8 minute) descent from the rocky top of Catbells saw me down. An elegant horseshoe and brilliant, varied race. After a hotpot lunch, we headed for scones and coffee in sun-drenched Grange before a spot of cragging to round off the day.

No comments: