Sunday, October 07, 2018

Chester Marathon

Race: Chester Marathon
Time/Position: 3.01.48 (252 from 3800)
After the humiliating experience of missing out on a qualifying time (for the first time in years) at London in April, I felt I had to squeeze one more marathon into 2018. The obvious problem is that I've concentrated on ultras, and therefore have distance in my legs but a complete absence of speed. The solution? To run at the same slow, plodding 7 minute mile pace throughout. It worked surprisingly well, particularly as I only managed three longish road runs in preparation. A night in my own bed, still asleep at 7am, was a great help, as was the ten minute drive to the start. Conditions were absolutely perfect, in contrast to London: I was shivering in 2C at the start and the day was clear with light winds. It is a great route, similar to the old half marathon route (which I did many times) in places as it heads out towards Pulford. But it also takes in much of the city centre, in stark contrast to the old marathon route which I ran in 2010 (the first ever Chester marathon and my V40 debut!). Under the Eastgate clock, out through Handbridge and Eccleston along roads I know very well and often train on, then over the border to Rossett and along the lanes towards Holt and Farndon. There are a few sharp hills on the return leg, a bit of a struggle for a while, but I took in more gels than is usual for me and - after going through half bang on 1.30 - didn't lose too much ground on the return, which takes the lanes east of the Dee through Aldford to re-enter Chester around Huntingdon to finish back at the Racecourse after taking in the banks of the Dee and our regular family picnic spot. So, no great shakes (8 mins down on PB) but job done in the sense that a London qualifying time was regained, and it was nice to wear the Welsh vest for the first time in six years (as a cross-border marathon, the British Masters Championships were incorporated into this race).

No comments: