Sunday, January 19, 2020

Four Villages half marathon

Race: Four Villages half marathon
Time/Position: 1.22.10 (131 from 1700)
It has been almost four years since my last half marathon, although I have done at least 40 of them in total. I felt a conservative approach would be best today, given the length of that break. I did this race in 2006 and 2007 (contracting pneumonia after running in freezing fog with a cough), and then ran 1.18 on it in 2014. It's a great course, quite hilly in places but with a very fast downhill finish. I parked in Dunham and jogged to the start, I'd forgotten what a big event this is and really enjoyed the first few miles, working in groups, keeping it nice and steady. It was foggy and cold, perfect conditions, so perhaps I should have pressed on a little. Instead, I stayed conservative until the course emerges from the fog at its highpoint above Manley - after which I upped the pace towards the finish. Over four minutes down on my PB, but not too bad in the circumstances.

No comments: