Saturday, March 21, 2020

Carneddau-Capel circuit

Peaks: Pen yr Ole Wen, Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewellyn, Pen yr Helgi Du, Pen Llithrig y Wrach
Area: Carneddau, Eryri
A grand old circuit, which I first did a shorter version of aged 18 in perfect conditions at the same time of year. That was March 1989, if I remember correctly, a day of crisp snow and spring sunshine. Today, by contrast, the outing had a elegiac quality with lockdown approaching. I got to the top of Pen (a mixture of jogging and walking) in less than 45 minutes but then slowed considerably across the main ridge in a stiff and very cold headwind. The clag was down but lifted very briefly when I crossed Dafydd to the top of the Black Ladders. Some snow on Llewellyn, and a ferocious windchill which made life pretty uncomfortable. Dropping down towards Llugwy got me out of it quite quickly, however, and I made good progress down towards Bwlch y Tri Marchog. Conditions were much better now, with clouds clearing and the sun starting to peek through: much warmer. I scampered up the scrambly ridge to Helgi Du then enjoyed the superb running across to Llithrig. From here, I took the now familiar Paddy descent, very long and very boggy, down to the A5 and Capel Curig - running back along the old Miner's road through Ogwen. By now, the weather was wonderful. This is normally my favourite time of year to be in the Welsh mountains, with crystal clarity and a hint of warmth in the sun promising better days to come. This year, not so much.

No comments: