Saturday, March 14, 2020

Ras yr Aran

Race: Ras yr Aran fell race (16.2km/3100ft)
Time/Position: 1.58.41 (158th from 312)
I have always argued that this is a unique race, so early in the year yet climbing to such a remote highpoint. I have done it 6 or 7 times, but I think this is only the second time I've touched the actual trig point on Fawddwy (although I've been up the hill a lot on normal runs and walks). It was a British Championship race this year, with all that implies in terms of quality of field, from every (hilly) corner of the country: and it also seemed likely to mark the end of racing for a while, with covid-19 approaching. So the atmosphere was a little unusual as we set off from Llanuwchllyn to start that massive, but familiar climb. I felt sluggish throughout, only really perking up as we gained the ridge at the tiny pools below Aran Benllyn. The weather on the ridge was about average - misty and cold, fairly strong winds. The final summit cone is a tricky scramble in running shoes, always damp and slippery, it adds a considerable amount of time. After this, I descended averagely back to the village. Eight minutes down on my best time for the course, although that was a decade ago.

No comments: