Sunday, November 22, 2020

NotRace 2: Denbigh BeerWolf

'Race': Denbigh BeerWolf (13k+/350m)
Time/Position: 1.41
One of a new series of 'not races', loosely organised with vague start times. An exclusive field of three runners set off from the remote starting point of Llyn Aled, which brings back childhood memories for me - the empty heart of the Denbigh Moors. Despite the modest stats, it was obvious what we were in for today. It reminded me of a typical OMM (the Elan Valley in 2009 came to mind) with two options: tussocks or bog? It was bog for the first stage round the Aled to the first checkpoint, but then a brief bit of road to pick up the aquatic path which leads to the end of the Alwen, another lonely spot with abandoned sheepfolds and ancient farmhouses. From here, we gained the Alwen path taken by the Freckled Cow race (on which I once came second), which gained height comfortably - although I lost Jez and Tony here and didn't see them again till the finish. I broke off at the fence line which leads up Mwdwl Eithin. I've been looking at this hill for many years, but amazingly have no memory of ever going up it. There are no paths, just this vague trod through thick heather - but the top has a huge cairn and wonderful views towards Siabod. From here, things got a lot worse. I saw the other two flailing down the fence line to the next CP, clearly struggling with the terrain, so thought I would cunningly head direct to the Moors road. The plan backfired, as the initial spur lead to steep slopes and horribly thick heather. Below, a quagmire with neck-deep fronds. A nightmare, which I had to battle through to gain the upper slopes which did indeed lead to the road. From here, an even boggier section leads to the minor summit of Pen yr Orsedd, after which I track could be picked up further north for some blessed relief down to lonely Llyn Alwen, with a CP at the derelict cottage. The relief was short-lived, as the 'run-in' back to Aled, although short, was just as tough underfoot as everything else - bogs and tussocks - with no view of Aled until I popped out just above it, still in a bog. A quintessential 2020 experience.

No comments: