Sunday, November 29, 2020

NotRace 3: Orme

'Race': Orme (14k/750m)
Time/Position: 1.41 (2nd)
Fortunate timing, the next 'not race' started from the West Shore and took a complex 'mountain marathon' style route around the Orme, taking us to some very obscure places (some of which I had never been to before). I set off with Jez, up the zigzags to the highpoint above the West Shore. From here, a superb high level traverse leads to the tip of the Orme above the road apex. A checkpoint here, then down to the remote feeling artillery huts at sea level: stunning location, looking out over Mynydd y Dref and Mon. Back up the track to the next CP at a derelict hut, just below the exposed contouring path to the Lighthouse Crags - a place I know fairly well, as it is one of the few crags on the Orme where I have ticked a good number of routes! I didn't have the app installed on my phone, so all 13 checkpoints had to be done via the map and instinct. This was an issue for the next one. a prominent boulder above the Lighthouse, although I did get it right. From here, a heathery trudge led to superb running along the plateau to drop down to the cemetery and then right down to the road before climbing all the way back up again just before the first Pen Trwyn crags (where, again, I have done a few modest routes). A checkpoint on the tumulus, then all the way down to Parisellla's cave and back up again via the ski slope. This was tricky as there are various access issues, and I lost time here. Finally, it was up to the summit and trig point before a flat-out descent back to the West Shore.

No comments: