Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Wansfell loop

Exploiting our border location, and a reading week, I took in a micro-break to the Lakes before the English lockdown begins. I had originally planned to stay at the Grasmere YHA we enjoyed so much a couple of years ago, but had to bring the trip forward by a day because of the lockdown: Ambleside became the rather more urban focus instead. The YHA on the banks of Windermere does have its advantages, though, set apart from the busy town and with easy parking. I just drove straight up, parked, and set off immediately for Wansfell direct from the lakeside. Through the little streets of upper Ambleside following the waterfalls, up the steep road to finally gain the flagstone path (taken by the well-known race route). This was good and direct and led to the initial summit - dank and gloomy but with nice autumnal views down to Windermere. I then took the boggy undulating ridge to Baystones - the true summit - quite close to Kirkstone Pass, with views over Kentmere and Fairfield. I then fashioned a satisfying loop, down Nan's Road to Troutbeck before a superb contouring path above Windermere (in brightening weather) back to Ambleside and the YHA, where I had a dorm room with six beds to myself due to Covid regs.

No comments: