Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Birkenhead Park 4m+

Race: Birkenhead Park 4m+ (Border League, race 7)
Time/Position: 23.26 (38th from 252 [2nd V50])
The concluding fixture of a very enjoyable season, my 16th in the league since my debut in 2005 - although not all of those were 'complete' (83 BL races in total). I have only ever won my age category overall once before, so it was nice to add to that, and complete the '21-'22 set alongside the North Wales cross-country league and the Wirral MT series in September. I'm under no illusions, there are far quicker people regionally in the category, but it is also at least partly to do with consistency and appearances. This final fixture only became possible at that last minute, and took in three clockwise laps of Birkenhead Park, the opposite to the usual fixture here and apparently similar to the parkrun (which I've never done). I set off pretty fast and enjoyed the loop round the familiar ponds before a longer drag up to the main gates: the pace was nothing to write home about but it was another acceptable performance which kept my points score reasonably low. In the end I finished the season 82 points ahead of second place in the category.

No comments: