Saturday, May 14, 2022

Sandstone Trail Challenge

'Race': Sandstone Trail (54k/1100m)
Time/Position: 5.34 (12th from 150)
My second time at this memorable event, and it went exactly as I expected it to: that is, slowly. The last time I did it, in 2018, I was focused almost entirely on distance, completing the British ultra series that year. As such, I came into the Trail quite confident, and even had a road marathon in my legs - the 5.08 I ran that year was enough for 5th place. This year, I didn't even think about getting close to that, and approached it in the way it was intended: a 'challenge' rather than a race. I knew I would be fine up to 20 miles or perhaps a little more, but also knew there was no point pushing it because the last 10 miles or so would be just a walk. This is exactly what happened. We started in glorious morning sunshine in Whitchurch after the long coach journey from Frodsham, and I just kept a steady pace churning over for the first 10 miles or so, which are all easy and gentle, on canal paths and tranquil fields. It curves round to the north via Grindley Brook and No Man's Heath. The ground finally begins to rise at Bickerton Hill, where the route joins the 17 mile Sandstone race route. It becomes a lot more challenging at this point, but the sharp climbs never last long and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, completely alone and jogging along in the warm sunshine. From Gallantry Bank, the highpoint at Rawhead is reached with superb views west across the plain to the Clwydians. Then comes the very familiar section along the ridge above Burwardsley and the Pheasant to Beeston Castle: dozens of family walks along this section, and a very welcome checkpoint (there are five in total, all with plenty of food and drink). After Beeston a small group of three formed for the endless plodding across dozens of fields, the scene of my embarrassing error last October. This was probably the crux of the day for me, as I reached the end of my current mileage limit. I knew very well that this would happen, and was prepared for it (this was my 13th or 14th ultra, if it can be counted as such). So, from Willington I just plodded and enjoyed the ambience, knowing there was no chance of matching my 2018 time. The route from here to the finish is very familiar, so I had no concerns about missing a turning. It got very hot at this point, and I was glad of the shade through Gresty's Waste and Delamere. The end is in sight from this point, and a very welcome checkpoint at Manley helps. I revived slightly for the section I know best of all, from Alvanley cliff over to the climax at Beacon Hill above Frodsham. A hobbling descent to finish in Frodsham 25 minutes slower than 2018.

No comments: