Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Dinas Bran hill race

Race: Dinas Bran (6.9km/380m)
Time/Position: 34.28 (7th from 87 [1st V50])
This was one of the first 'fell' races I ever did, almost 20 years ago. Since then, I've done it a lot and initially felt that this performance was right up there with previous outings. Sadly, that proved not to be the case and was actually my slowest since the race was revived, a minute or even more down on all previous races. Never mind, it felt good and I felt I'd paced it quite well (and it is possible that some short-cuts are no longer possible). The initial Donkey Path from the school is always fairly desperate - horribly steep - and I may have lost time there as I tried to keep pace with fast starting Ian H. I then seemed to go reasonably well up to the castle, I have always walked the steep section at the top and did so today before the usual very fast descent. I found myself pulling away from a few other runners and continued moving (a little) through the field on the second loop to the castle (I remember finding this extraordinarily unnecessary the first time I did the race back in 2003!). A good final descent, castle to school in 5.19.

No comments: