Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Up the Beast fell race

Race: Up the Beast (7.5k/480m)
Time/Position: 42.22 (7th from 88 [1st V50])
Probably the race I've done most often, 12 or 13 times, almost every one since its launch. Another personal worst, but given the many route changes over the years that is not too concerning, and I wasn't too disastrously far off my previous times for the event. It is always a tricky one to pace, as the temptation is to go hard for the first lumpy section through the woods. That is exactly what I did, and paid for it on the first steep climb, up the 'Beast' itself. You do get to recover a bit through the crags, however, and actually I don't think I was too far off my normal pace for this, or the next airless climb. The grass was longer than normal, which is tiring in itself, and I found myself fairly isolated in 6th place. The time was really lost in the last section through the woods, where I struggled (worse than normal) and slowed considerably. Some other runners missed a few of the arrows leading to a certain amount of confusion at the finish, although I did win my category.

No comments: