Saturday, September 23, 2023

Arenig direct

Peaks: Arenig Fawr
Area: Arenig, Eryri
An unconventional parkrun warmdown, after a quick Bala breakfast. Above Llidiart, a short jog down towards the quarry, then up the zigzags through the quarries. Above, the crags of Pen Tyrau. I had vague memories of the wet gullies up here, but it must be 25-30 years since I came up this way. I opted for the central one with old fenceposts. This was aquatic, really quite unpleasant unless you're a frog, and becomes very steep at the top. Strangely satisfying though. At the top, I should have followed the fence line to Pen Tyrau top but instead cut the corner to the cairned top of the northern spur - nice views despite cloudy skies. It was cold for the easy crossing to the main summit, after which I jogged back to the car in around 37 minutes from summit to road.

No comments: