Saturday, January 13, 2024

Twin Piers 10k

Race: Twin Piers 10k
Time/Position: 36.08 (18th from 432 [2nd V50])
This has always been my favourite 10k, but a four year hiatus since Covid has stopped me (and everyone else) running it for some time. I set my PB here in 2012 and have never got near that time (34.17) since, although I did run 35.30 or so a couple of years later on the same course. I did have a tailwind on both those occasions, but on the other hand you do have to climb over the Little Orme and that old course also took a winding loop through Penrhyn Bay. Today's new route was even better, a solid linear blast from Llandudno Pier to some way beyond the old Colwyn Bay pier. There was a tiny (cold, drizzly) breeze from the west but nothing to write home about. I went off hard, deliberately so, and kept to 3.30/km pace all the way to the Little Orme. My HR was high, and this increased on the very fast section down to Rhos on Sea. I began to struggle a little and my pace slowed, but it never became too uncomfortable and I had a well matched companion, Tony from Denbigh, to keep pace with. I was fairly pleased with the time, although it was only enough for silver in the North Wales championships. I jogged back to the car near the lifeboat station, meeting M on the way.

No comments: