Sunday, January 28, 2024

Thurstaston BL

Race: Thurstaston 9.25k (Borders League race 4)
Time/Position: 34.08 (44th from 417 [1st V50])
A brand new course for this Pensby borders fixture. although parts of it were very familiar from the various Wirral multi-terrain fixtures held here. It took the Wirral Way in reverse for 3k or so, a fast start. Too fast for me in fact, with a 3.25 first km suggesting a struggle on the hill! I felt there might be congestion on the WW, however, which was the reason for the fast start. I knocked it back a bit, conscious that a climb was coming, but was still taken aback by its steepness, as most of us were. It takes Oldfield drive, a cratered track near the more familiar Heswall Dales, and finally emerges on the main Heswall road. Then came a very fast run-in and I held my position quite well with 2 x 3.23 km's to finish. I have a fairly narrow 25 point lead over Jez in the V50 category at present, with Buckley on top in both the overall and veteran's team competitions. A clean sweep would be nice!

No comments: