Sunday, October 04, 2026

Llandegla BL

Race: Llandegla 5m+ (Border League race 1)
Time/Position: 35.30 (67th from 346 [1st V55])
Unless I have miscounted, this was my 100th Border League race, 21 years since my debut at Hoylake. Given my current lack of training and mileage, I was fairly pleased with my performance on what was a tough course by Borders standards. I can think of very few 'trail' races in the league over the years, so this was a real novelty on gravel tracks, with quite a lot of elevation (270m or so), so I was keen to do it despite hoping to ease off a bit in the league this year. It took in the main firetrack loop anticlockwise from just below the cafe. I took it fairly steady on the first climb: it then eased before a final steep kicker, nice views across the Clwydians, before the fast descent. Parking was inevitably going to be tricky, so we parked in Gwynfryn and jogged along the track from there, increasing the mileage to 13k or so.

No comments: