Monday, May 26, 2008

Edinburgh marathon

Broke the big barrier at the Edinburgh marathon, finishing in 2:57:52, for 110th place from 7000. The culmination of my plans/tactics over spring. I think it was probably right to stay comfortable in Paris to dip below 3:10 (given previous pb was 3:27!). But this time I wanted to really go for the 3 hours, despite the IT band injury and the fact that the South Cheshire 20 had been my only long run since Paris seven weeks ago. Conditions were poor, with a strong headwind right up to the turn at 18 miles. Doing the course last year helped, and I ran a good tactical race, quite cautious and controlled but never really slackening the pace. Went through 10k in 40m, half in 1:27, then a rough patch at 21m, when I finally got the tailwind. But kept concentration and kept the pace up, albeit painfully, over the last three miles to get comfortably under the barrier. Another great weekend in Edinburgh, beautiful weather, so we all went up Arthur's Seat next day - then drove to the Hetheringtons near Perth where we walked up Abernethy Glen in delightful evening sunshine. Desperate to recover now in time for the 1000m race.

No comments: