Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Y Garn fell race, Tarw MTB trail


A very average performance in Y Garn fell race on Saturday. Humid conditions, with a little mist covering the summit as we approached from Rhyd Ddu. It's an unrelenting, continuously steep 1,500ft climb from the village. Got to the cairn in 24 mins from the village, and kept my place reasonably well on the steep but grassy descent (11 mins from summit to road). Finished in 35:25 for 30th place from 93. The race was a counter in the Welsh and North Wales champs, so a very strong field. Poured down immediately after, so Simon and I had to abandon plans for a 1000m reccie. Next day, myself and Rich headed off to Coed y Brenin in beautiful spring weather (at last), to do the Tarw mountain bike circuit. Loosely based on the old Red Bull, which I did 7 years ago. But I found the Tarw disappointing, technical and tediously rocky throughout - very few smooth descents but physically relatively easy (21k).

No comments: