Sunday, October 24, 2010

Caernarfon Border League

Race: Caernarfon 10k (Border League round 1)
Time/Position: 35:52 (17th from 231 [2nd V40])

Although I ran reasonably well on this, the most scenic and interesting of the Border League races, I was left feeling a bit disappointed with my time and position. In the past, I've found that when you move up a level in the league, it has the frustrating effect of losing you several places in the last 500m, when stronger runners put in a better finishing kick. This was the case today: I was up in 12th or 13th place at 5k, as the race moves inland after the seafront section. This is the furthest up the field I've ever been in the league, so I was inevitably hanging on a bit for the hilly final half. I managed to keep it going before being passed by two runners at 8k, then two more in the last 200m. Over a minute slower than my Cardiff time, although it was enough for 2nd Vet overall. Crystal clear views over Snowdonia and the sea, and I always enjoy the finish past the castle even if I am struggling.

No comments: