Saturday, November 20, 2010

Penmaenmawr fell race

Race: Penmaenmawr fell race (10.5m/2000ft)
Time/Position: 1:22:23 (25th from 237)

Another race in which I felt rather below par, although I suspect that today it was more a case of tactical error (and I really enjoyed myself despite, or perhaps because, of this). The race was run in reverse for a change this year, and I was ultra-conservative on the climb to the quarry, which is actually pretty gentle. A glorious sunburst as we approached the Stone Circle, by which time I was already well off the pace. The bog wasn't really the place for a weak and spindly runner to claw back places, especially into the wind and uphill, so I left it until the road at Bwlch y Ddaefaen before opening up a bit. An immediate stitch put paid to that idea, so I was forced to recover before entering the mist above the final checkpoint near the fords. I finally felt able to move a bit more quickly here, and actually had a lot left. But it was too late, and the 'no overtaking' rule on the steep donkey-track descent was a tad frustrating as I finished at the back of a large group of runners having spent several miles catching them up! This was my fourth outing on one of my favourite races, slightly easier and more enjoyable this way round. Jogged back over Sychnant to Conwy after the post-race beer and soup, making it a 15-16 mile day.

No comments: