Friday, December 31, 2010

'Over the Top' Clwydian ride

MTB Route: Over the Top (Famau-Penbarras)
Distance: 28k

Still struggling with the knee injury: no running since Monday, my longest lay-off for years. Ironically, this has struck just when I have time on my hands and was hoping to push the mileage. Still, it gave a nice opportunity to get the mountain bike out. Rich and I left the middle Famau car park and contoured the forest roads round to the steep grass climb above Cilcain. Rich was suffering, so headed for home at this point. I ploughed on for a predictably muddy crossing of the ridge, before enjoying the superb long descent to Llangynhafal. From here, I really floored it to Llanbedr, lots of energy to burn after the lay-off! Then comes the notorious climb of Bwlch Penbarras. This reaches 25% in places (double the max gradient of any Tour climb, although obviously considerably shorter!). I felt good, and suspect I did it quicker than in previous attempts, but forgot to record the climb time (1:45 for the full loop). Tried a brief jog from the Collie later after a NYE pint in the Druid, but felt the knee flare up almost immediately.

No comments: