Sunday, November 06, 2011

Abergele 5m

Race: Abergele 5m/North Wales 5m Championships
Time/Position: 28:51 (9th from 261 [1st V40])

As this event always clashes with the Clwydian fell race I'd only done it once before. However, I felt that the rigours of last weekend's OMM were sufficient excuse to opt for a 5 mile road dash today! Furthermore, I've been meaning to make more of an effort for the championship races for some time and this is a tricky course with some very steep hills that I hoped would suit me. Despite all this, the beautiful weather meant I still had some regrets at not being in the hills as I set off - although I was relieved to feel fairly sharp after last weekend. The pace was quite high, and a group of 5 or 6 runners formed after 2 miles. Another runner and I gradually pulled away, and he went clear on the steep hill after 3 miles where I blew last time I did the race in 2007. Because it's such a hilly course, you get some recovery time, and the finish was relatively comfortable as a result - a very fast final mile. I won the V40 prize in the race, and the gold medal in the North Wales Championships. This was the 25th anniversary of a fine race.

No comments: