Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mold Border League

Race: Mold 5.5m (Border League race 5)
Time/Position: 28:33 (12th from 294 [2nd V40])

After two disappointing races, it was about time for a better performance, so this was pleasing. It's always a tricky course tactically. You have to be reasonably measured in terms of energy expenditure on the long hill to Nercwys, but can't be too cautious or it becomes impossible to make the distance up over the remaining three miles. I stayed in touch with a largish group up to Nercwys, then gradually made up some ground to hang off the back of it for a while. I was then pleased to find I was feeling reasonably good on the undulating terrain back to Mold, so I deliberately pushed it on all the short hills - especially the last one, when I pulled away from the front of the group I was with. Unusually, I then managed to hold my position for the long and tiring run-in up the exhausting 'false flat' to the finish. I think I'm currently second V40 with two races to go, but it's still very tight and both remaining races come immediately after marathons!

No comments: