Sunday, February 12, 2012

Nick Beer 10k

Race: Nick Beer 10k (Llandudno)
Time/Position: 36:34 (15th from 870 [4th V40])

Having spent the week in the Ukraine, in a freak cold snap of -26C, I certainly felt well-rested coming in to this race: running was not an option in Kiev or Kharkov! Baffling, then, that this turned into my worst performance since the Brenig race last summer. I felt tired almost immediately, suffering even on the gentle initial climb around Marine Drive then really slowing for the steepest inclines past the lighthouse. I then recovered and pushed it on the descent, getting up to 11th place, before finally accepting that it wasn't my day and comprehensively blowing for a second and final time on the tiny hill past the tram station! An unpleasant finish along the prom ensued, feeling very uncomfortable and very tired. Well over two minutes down on my time at Twin Piers, a mere three weeks ago. No idea what the problem was: possibly cumulative sleep deprivation after a busy week away, or possibly just one of those days.

No comments: