Friday, March 02, 2012

Dash in the Dark

Race: Dash in the Dark fell race (4m/700ft)
Time/Position: 25:38 (6th from 37 [3rd V40])

Having missed the first two 'dashes' this winter, I was pleased to be able to make the last one: I always enjoy these friendly night-time trail races through the Llandegla woods. Well off the pace tonight, though, having not yet emerged from my usual cocoon of road racing through the winter months. As a result, I struggled on the climbs, even though they are relatively gentle, and even the terrain seemed harder than usual. It's always tricky to see your feet, of course, and it remains disconcerting even after about 10 of these races. Quite competitive at the front end tonight, more so than usual, and I finished well down the small field. This is about the point in the year when I usually try to make the transition from road to hill, so there's clearly quite a lot of work to do!

No comments: