Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pen y Fan fell race

Race: Pen y Fan fell race (3.5m/2000ft/AS)
Time/Position: 40:21 (15th from 130 [2nd V40])
Peaks: Corn Du, Pen y Fan
Area: Brecon Beacons
I wasn't too sure how this would go, given my recent Alpine exertions, but wanted to give it a bash as it was one of this year's Welsh Championship series. I'm glad we made the effort to drive down just a few hours after returning from the Alps, as it is one of the best short fell races anywhere, a real classic which packs a great deal of action into 5k. A strong field meant an uncomfortably fast start up steep but runnable slopes from the start in Cwm Llwch above Brecon (E started next to me at the same time in the junior race!). My muscles immediately felt drained of energy, and I had a peculiar aching sensation even in my biceps for some reason. I recovered a bit as the slopes levelled off for the contouring path round to the obelisk on the ridge up Corn Du. This then becomes a steep 'pavement', up which I could only stride in my fatigued state. Some light, humid mist as I crested Corn Du then pelted over to Pen y Fan in a slow 30.04 - 18th at this point. Then comes the classic descent, steeply down rock steps to very steep grass - numerous runners literally rolling down the hillside, or using impromptu (and presumably painful) buttock sledges to descend. I managed to stay upright, just, and took the obvious traverse line due north but corrected myself when I saw others pelting straight down to the base of the cwm - thinking there may have been a checkpoint there. There wasn't, so I resumed the contouring and crossed the river efficiently before enjoying the very fast onward route down gentler slopes to the finish (10:17 for the descent - the 7th fastest, rather surprisingly as I felt I'd taken a bad line).

No comments: