Sunday, September 27, 2015

Rab Mountain Marathon, Glyderau

Race: Rab Mountain Marathon, Day Two
Time/Position: 125pts in 4.26 (12th from 175 [2nd Veteran])
A great day and an elegant traverse of the Glyders in perfect morning sunshine that was spoiled slightly by a careless error right at the end (actually, after the finish) which cost me the first Veteran prize. Local knowledge was a huge advantage, even more than yesterday: I immediately knew where all the checkpoints were and just constructed what I felt to be the most logical route, prioritising the bigger value controls. No excuses, as these cwms have been my playground for almost 30 years! After a spartan breakfast in the half light at 6.30am, I jogged along the old Nant Ffrancon road initially, then steeply up the stream into Cwm Coch below Yr Esgair: a tough climb up to a 20 pointer. Then superb running, the highlight of the weekend, taking the little contouring path around all the east facing cwms towards distant Cwm Clyd. The sun rose over Tryfan, I was completely alone but totally confident about the onward route: superb! I went 'off piste' into Cwm Clyd, a hard slog up difficult ground, and dibbed the CP in this lovely wild cwm, one of my favourites. I knew I would get across to Bochlwyd quickly, and did so, pelting down to Idwal in 10 minutes then taking the shortcut path above Clogwyn y Tarw (which we descended as recently as May). The CP at Bochlwyd seemed to be in wrong place, but was easily located, then it was up to Bwlch Tryfan under deep blue skies (much cooler than yesterday). The next CP at Llyn Caseg Fraith was perhaps the scenic highlight of the weekend. Still early morning, so the famed view of Tryfan and Bristly Ridge across the blue lake was crystal clear. I had loads of time, and dithered about getting an obvious 15 pointer a few hundred metres down the Mymbyr side. I decided against it, which was the first decision to cost me the category win (although at least this one was a little more understandable, as I knew the run-in to Capel along the ridge would be harder than the map suggests). After contouring Foel Goch, I helped some lost competitors find an awkward CP in a wide re-entrant. Then it was the run for home along the superb, but boggy, ridge. Three more checkpoints were close together among the knolls and gullies of the lower slopes: the bottom one was particularly hard to find. But despite wasting ten minutes searching numerous re-entrants for the checkpoint, I had well over half an hour left when I finally located it. I sauntered down to the finish above Capel and dibbed for the final time. Immediately afterwards (as I was walking back to the car) another runner (still going fast, clearly not finished) passed me and said 'aren't you going for the easy ten pointer?' I looked down at the map and realised to my horror that I hadn't marked a checkpoint less than 1km away along the valley bottom. I'd just discounted all 'Carneddau' checkpoints at the start of the day without thinking, not realising some were 'live' and right next to the finish. All I had to do was walk along the road and back, and I had 35 minutes spare in which to do it in perfect comfort! I asked if I could carry on, but unsurprisingly it was impossible as I'd dibbed at the finish. As it happened, somewhat inevitably, this cost me first Veteran place - but at least my own stupidity is the only thing to blame.

No comments: